News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Garmin autopilot  (Read 21262 times)

schrambow

Re: New Garmin autopilot
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2019, 10:59:46 pm »
I love this AP106! The H-14 i had with the Hawk was not that great compared to this AP106. Don, i am a bit naive here, but i thought all AP106's had altitude preselect? I guess i have assumed wrong from your post here.  I really like that preselect feature, i set it about 100 feet below my assigned altitude i want and it works very well i think. The problem i have now is it is spoiling me too much now, as when i get in the 680FLP or others i am reaching for the select and it isn't there! 
Flying the 840 too much i suppose and need to get back to the basics and maybe start hand flying the machine more so i don't get spoiled and rusty, i need to hand fly the whole trips and such and pretend the autopilot doesn't work like in our earlier years when we were lucky the comm's even worked properly.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2019, 11:10:13 pm »
No, altitude preselect was an option and mine doesn't have it. Amazingly enough, the little pitch controller was also an option, and mine doesn't have that either!

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2019, 11:49:36 pm »
Incidentally, because I know it will be asked, without the pitch wheel the only way to set the pitch (other than altitude hold) is to use the control wheel steering to manually set the airplane to a certain pitch. When you release the CWS button, the autopilot holds the pitch.

It also does a fair job in IAS hold, as long as it's smooth.

I still remember clearly my first flight in an 840 that didn't have that pitch wheel. I spent the entire flight searching the cockpit for it, and couldn't believe it didn't have one! But, sure enough, it didn't, and my 980 doesn't either.

According to my original price list, "Manual Pitch Turn Controller for AP-106" was an $800 option. Altitude preselect was $4,550.

schrambow

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2019, 12:00:54 pm »
very interesting, thanks for sharing Don.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2019, 12:12:39 pm »
I tried to add a pitch controller when I did my panel upgrade, and while it was theoretically possible, it ended up being very expensive. My avionics shop thought maybe the wiring would already be there and they'd just have to add the switch, but nope!

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2020, 06:36:32 pm »
Will the S-Tec 3100 supply the data that Eurocontrol wants?

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2021, 10:16:33 pm »
Was there ever a resolution to this?

I'm still not sure if the S-Tec 3100 can do it, but I do have the connections to find out, if you can send me a specific request for what it needs to do. My impression is maybe not, but I may not have phrased the question correctly.