News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Anyone take a Commander to Oshkosh this year?  (Read 10305 times)

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Anyone take a Commander to Oshkosh this year?
« on: July 30, 2017, 12:14:14 pm »
Just curious. Know Bruce had a formation flight there in honor of Bob Hoover, but wondered if anyone else flew in? I have yet to make it there...
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

Badger

Re: Anyone take a Commander to Oshkosh this year?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 01:37:02 pm »
Yes, I flew my 500B there again this year.  Normally, I see ZERO other commanders (sad), but this year I did see 3 or 4 others.  Cool!

ed
Ed

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 10:44:53 pm »
Next year I'm camping with the kids!

This time, it was in honor of Bob Hoover.  We will not forget our hero.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 02:07:47 am »
Bruce, is that the Shrike that you just bought?

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 11:30:26 am »
Fab pictures!
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

Huck-Mag

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 05:54:48 pm »
We made it to Oshkosh in the 680FL we call Big Bird, parked at Appleton.

It was touch and go as to if she would be able to go, even delayed trip a day after the left propeller suddenly developed a self-feathering option during taxi.

After having prop gov overhauled and the prop checked for leaks, it was determined the gearbox was leaking oil. Quick (not so much) replacement of the gearbox and a day of local flying allowed us to make the treck from DFW area to Oshkosh.

I looked for Ed and Bruce. Shockingly, I couldn't find them in the 600,000 peeps attending.

The flights to and from were uneventful and Big Bird performed admirably. She did get a good rinse on the way up there.

Brent
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 07:36:44 pm by Huck-Mag »

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 06:46:50 pm »
Bruce, is that the Shrike that you just bought?

I wish Don!  Shockingly, that project is taking a bit longer than anticipated.   

The Shrike I brought belongs to Pat Hosmann Jr. at Southern Cross, a jet brokerage and parts distributor.  The airplane was formerly owned by Bob Odegaard of North Dakota who flew several Hoover aerobatic tribute routines in it at OSH! I sold it to Bob and then to Pat. I understand once Hoover learned of Bob's tribute planes, Hoover made a point to tell Bob not to embarrass him!

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 06:52:41 pm »
We made it to Oshkosh in the 680FL we call Big Bird, parked at Appleton.

It was touch and go as to if she would be able to go, even delayed trip a day after the left propeller suddenly developed a self-feathering option during taxi.

After having prop gov overhauled and the prop checked for leaks, it was determined the gearbox was leaking oil. Quick (not so much) replacement of the gearbox and a day of local flying allowed us to make the treck from DFW area to Oshkosh.

I looked for Ed and Bruce. Shockingly, I couldn't find them in the 600,000 peeps attending.

The flights to and from were uneventful and Big Bird performed admirably. She did get a good rinse on the way up there.

Brent

Sorry I missed you Brent. We have to do better next year.  I'm already planning to rent a house and take the kids. Or maybe get a nice tent and rough it, not sure.

I was the last VFR departure on Tues in order to get back to work. It was OSH at its finest; there was a big departure delay due to a) a Lancair that taxied into the grass and collapsed the prop off the end of 36 b) a Malibu that landed and then refused to restart, demanding a tug and c) a C150 parked and running with no one in it.

Badger

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 02:46:53 pm »
I parked my 500B at Appleton as well.  The FBO said it was too big to go into the camping area (I am ok with that), so they parked me on the big ramp and carried me over to the camping area in a van.  Not bad, but I do like camping actually UNDER the wing.  Aircraft flew great there and back.  Got loads of rain, both in Appleton and in Mosby, MO, which led to my carpet getting wet.  Not sure how that happens... but, overall, a great experience. I arrived on Saturday (first one into the camping area) and departed on Wednesday...  Fun week!

ed
Ed

Huck-Mag

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 05:32:04 pm »
Bruce and Ed,

We are planning to attend the Twin Commander Fly-in in September and consume our share of ribs.

Reservations are already made for next year in Appleton, Thur 26 to Sun 29. We stayed at the Wingate and it was nice enough. I like Appleton as there are lots of restaurants and no Oshkosh crowds at supper time.

BTW, Trade-A-Plane and Piedmont were also staying at the Wingate, and the Aussies in a military plane. They talk funny. :-)

Brent

Badger

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 07:07:31 pm »
Sounds like a great plan for Oshkosh, Brent.   Did you rent a car that week or use the bus?  I ended up renting...

I'll probably miss the TCG Fly-in after all. Family medical issues.. :-(

I try to make OSH, SnF, and Reno each year.  If I make one or two, I'm happy.  Of course, for me, the BEST part is always the flying of my Commander to and from the event!  ;-)

Ed
Ed

Huck-Mag

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 01:21:15 pm »
Ed,

Are you taking your 500 to the Fly-In in KC from Aggieland?

Brent

WilsonRiggan

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 06:09:06 pm »
Just curious. Know Bruce had a formation flight there in honor of Bob Hoover, but wondered if anyone else flew in? I have yet to make it there...

We took the 685 this year (my first trip to OSH), but as we arrived mid-afternoon on Sunday, parking was already full and they were turning planes away.  So we diverted up to Waupaka.  Neat place... great people.  And it was the town we were staying in anyway, so it worked out well.

Wilson

jensscott

• Get busy living
    • Summit Point Kart
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2017, 09:14:42 pm »
N411VV was there and the we got the red carpet..... Rolled right up front near the machine shed..not the nose bleed section like when I came in my mooney in the past.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 09:16:17 pm by jensscott »

jensscott

• Get busy living
    • Summit Point Kart
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2017, 09:19:03 pm »
Glamping...