News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Why was baggage aux tank never developed?  (Read 6200 times)

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Why was baggage aux tank never developed?
« on: July 30, 2017, 08:18:30 pm »
It seems to me a bit strange that an aux fuel tank mounted in the baggage compartment (close to the rear cabin bulkhead) was never developed for the Commanders? They would be in an ideal place - just right on the center of gravity, right below the main spar. Also, you could feed the fuel a very short distance up to the main center tank with pumps and have very little plumbing. Was this never explored?

Seems strange they developed the much more cumbersome drop tanks that increase both drag and make plumbing much more complicated.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

Bruce Byerly

Re: Why was baggage aux tank never developed?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 10:38:08 pm »
It would be nice but I think too much weight in the center section.  That's why tip tanks are so popular, they increase the wing strength.

Jeff Johnson

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 09:43:38 pm »
I think you have a great idea for the extra long crossing. 

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 07:43:27 am »
So my 2 cents?  I would think, while being an awesome place, it would be a bit complicated putting something there.  I'm more than certain the wings were developed because gravity could feed the fuel from the higher tanks into the center tank without a lot of electronics or pumps.  Putting something under the main tank would require a pretty nice pump and other routes to get it into the tank due to all of that weight it would have to push through to fill it.  Having it come from above just means letting it feed into the other thanks and work its way down the way.

I could be wrong, just what I would think might be an issue.

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Popeye

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 12:21:44 pm »
Actually, I do have that larger center tank, giving me around 210 gallos, plus auxiliary tanks I get around 270+ gallons. It was done by manufacturer per request, just as an unfeathering pump, front door, and other goodies.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 04:29:08 pm »
What model airplane?
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.