News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: A new hate  (Read 7995 times)

ghancock

• Administrator
A new hate
« on: July 24, 2017, 10:32:12 pm »
I have to say of all the things I am dealing with with my Commander, the one thing I hate more than any other is the hydraulic system.  I spend so much time trying to fix a tiny leak that makes a total mess that it has about driven me insane.  I've had to remove my brake calipers 3 times and now am on the 3rd remove of the left master cylinder because they both drip fluid every time I touch anything.  Of course, it doesn't help that I'm using skydrol but wow do I miss my 310 right now. :-(

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Steve binnette

Re: A new hate
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 11:28:13 pm »
What's up with that is it the 3000 psi thatmakes it tough to work on? 

That's a lot of pressure for a GA aircraft.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 01:31:48 am »
3000 psi and 50+ year old parts do not make a good combination.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 05:44:33 pm »
its not necessarily the psi but the fact that to deal with those pressures you have to switch to skydrol.  Luckily I have no issues with it as long as I keep it out of my eyes so its not a big deal on that front.  However, it is toxic to the paint and painted floor of the hanger.  Then like Don said, add in the 1963 time frame when the parts were made and the fact that you can't get new ones any longer and I'm forced to hunt for replacements that themselves are far from being perfect.  I have 5 brake master cylinders that install behind the rudder pedals.  The problem is the cylinder walls and the piston edges are worn from years of use and none of the cylinders are perfect, so I keep switching (which is a huge pain in the ass) the cylinders to try to find one that doesn't leak.

I have replaced most everything on the airplane at this point so most of the leaks are gone, but its just a huge pain in the ass to get to everything in order to fix it.  Just very frustrating.

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 07:21:35 pm »
Can you get things like master cylinders made?

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 10:41:58 am »
Not really sure on that.  Wouldn't even know who to call. it is a complex enough part that it would be difficult to produce without the original molds.

Glenn
--glenn

lesnagy

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 05:51:46 pm »
I have to say of all the things I am dealing with with my Commander, the one thing I hate more than any other is the hydraulic system.  I spend so much time trying to fix a tiny leak that makes a total mess that it has about driven me insane.  I've had to remove my brake calipers 3 times and now am on the 3rd remove of the left master cylinder because they both drip fluid every time I touch anything.  Of course, it doesn't help that I'm using skydrol but wow do I miss my 310 right now. :-(

Glenn

Glenn, I just found an issue in the power brake area with leaking and I had high hopes to solve it quick till I read your post. :(