News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eclipse?  (Read 6197 times)

donv

• Administrator
Eclipse?
« on: August 13, 2017, 11:41:01 am »
Anyone doing anything for the eclipse?

I've thought about going a few places, but even the most remote airports seem to be booked up. I think I'll stay home and be happy with 99%.

We did discuss trying to see it from the air, but I'm a bit concerned about all the traffic.

Jeff Johnson

Re: Eclipse?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 06:43:46 pm »
Don't come to Bend or Madras.

Temp towers being erected at both airports.

And I've asked around about flying during the eclipse time. 

No straight answers.

Madras is expecting landings every 3 minutes. 

I had AOPA members in Camarillo ask me if I knew of any "hanger Space" for rent at Bend.  HA!!

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 05:38:18 pm »
I'm headed to Triple Tree I think in SC on east coast.  Crossing directly over it.  5000' grass strip.  Most impressive grass strip you'll ever see.  Like a 100' wide x 5000' long green at a golf club. :-)

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 07:01:50 pm »
Don't forget your clubs... might just be dark enough that no one will notice the double boggggies...  ;D

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 06:49:40 pm »
   FAA Safety Team | Safer Skies Through Education
Are You Flying to the Eclipse Path
Notice Number: NOTC7320

Do you plan to fly your aircraft on August 21 during the solar eclipse? If yes, you’re not alone. Several airports located in the path of the eclipse have notified the FAA that they are anticipating a significant increase in air traffic before and during the eclipse. Many of these airports are non-towered and have limited capacity to accommodate an increase in traffic. Here are some tips to fly safe in the path of the eclipse.

Use US Chart Supplements (formerly AFD).
Check NOTAMs for your departing and arriving airports, including airports along the route of your flight. Remember, some airports may already be at capacity.
Call your destination airport, and respect the runway closures and safety information they provide.
Expect Unicom congestion, and check for additional instructions on ASOS/AWOS voice over.
See and Avoid is a high priority. Watch out for possible drone activity.
Utilize Air Traffic Services when available.
Use IFR operations when appropriate, file VFR flight plans …. let Air Traffic assist you!
Have some specific questions about an area or airport? The FAASTeam is here to help. Our local FAASTeam Program Managers (FPM) are available to help with local knowledge. Find your local FPM for any given area https://www.faasafety.gov/FAASTApp/directory/default.aspx

For a refresher on non-towered airport communications, click https://www.faasafety.gov/files/notices/2017/Jun/Non-Tower_Airport_Comms.pdf

Invite a fellow pilot to the next WINGS Safety Seminar in your area.