News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: How to cure yourself from projects.  (Read 9869 times)

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
How to cure yourself from projects.
« on: August 13, 2017, 03:28:15 pm »
Here is a shot across the bow. A disease that must be stopped, killed in its infancy before it has a chance to spread to the brain!

Innocuous departure on SouthWorst to clandestine location in the midwest.

Oh lord – what is that they’re towing across the ramp for us to inspect, those evil ground-handling lurers and baiters?

Oh, an old Jetprop. But wait a minute....

It seems to the untrained eye, it might be lacking a LH engine proper, but we can’t tell from here really….

… ah yes, definitely lacking an engine. They never told us that when we bought our tickets to go see it, did they? Good thing it comes with extra Saran wrap, so we can wrap any leftover sandwiches we might have.

Morris prods and runs his fingers in the orifices for good measure, but he can’t ignore the gaping orifice in the nacelle on the wing..

…nor the de-laminating heated windshield. Replacing that would take a dent out of our now, clearly lacking, sandwich budget.

And is that mud in the RH engine nacelle or just a leaking carbon seal? I’m not entirely sure we want to know…

But the interior is not bad. Once you get rid of the refreshment-centers-from-hell, that is.

Panel isn’t an absolute disaster. Certainly old.

But there was that nagging feeling again, that something was just too good to be true – oh yes, we couldn’t possibly eat enough sandwiches in our lifetime to use up all that Saran wrap!

;) :D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 03:38:53 pm by Adam Frisch »
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
Re: How to cure yourself from projects.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 04:56:00 pm »
Oh Adam... Adam... Adam... I have a son who is a top notch therapist for the oh so dreaded obsessive compulsive disorder "project addiction" and I am happy to get you an appointment. He has cured me of the condition.  8)
Tell us it ISN'T so.

Jeff Johnson

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 06:36:31 pm »
Are you seriously looking at another Project?

Whats the price on this one?

I know those windshields are expensive.

How about the engine?

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 07:41:25 pm »
I know you don't need to hear it from me, but I'd buy one that is already flyable. Bruce's 980, or one of the several 840s on the market.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 08:14:52 pm »
I'm not buying it! Maybe I've been cured?  ;)

It was told to be ferryable, and I was just tagging along with Morris to check her out and do some engine runs. Needless to say, she was pretty far from ferryable... Books are a mess, nobody knows where left engine even is. Needs everything, phase, gear, props, engines etc.

Steve binnette

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 09:39:46 pm »
Why would somebody misrepresent a airplane that much?  It looks like a parts plane.

You my friend have a problem that will only be cured by having a working air plane!  Your plane is going to be fantastic!

Hang in there!

drwho67

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 10:43:26 pm »
Oh, Adam, no one can spin a yarn like you, that's how you hooked me to TCs on YouTube.  What were the particulars to get you guys to travel to an undisclosed location? or is that beyond our clearance level.

In a former life, I was into HAM Radio and would travel everywhere to hamfests and it would never cease to amaze me how people thought that their old junk, I mean stuff was worth a fortune instead of the paperweight that it actually was.

Brian

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 01:39:08 am »
She was misrepresented by seller, but I think inadvertently so. Think the engine has been repossessed by lien holder in his absence. I'm just keeping the reg out for now to protect various parties, but she's at Wiley Post. Curiously parked about 50ft from where she was built, after having spent most her time in Africa, South America and Europe - everywhere but the US! Just sad that she's been left in such a mess for a few years. Aircraft is not structurally in bad shape - couldn't see any corrosion and the paint job is faded, but otherwise in good shape. I hope they can locate her LH engine and the engine books etc. Be sad if she ends up on the scrap heap or a parts plane.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 01:41:31 am by Adam Frisch »

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 11:23:26 am »
Dash 5s?

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 01:03:02 pm »
At this point, a Dash 5.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 12:46:03 pm by Adam Frisch »

drwho67

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 01:16:04 pm »
I found a before shot, looks like it had both engines a year ago.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 01:28:17 pm »
Now I'm not suggesting that you do so, but I would think that an enterprising soul could come up with a dash 5 (and a new windshield!) and make that airplane fly again. Way, way better than the sad 980!

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 11:48:23 pm »
Curious to see what seller's story is.  ::)

Right engine had a lien on it that was not cleared when aircraft was purchased in 2010. It is our suspicion that the engine never got released as part of sale, and current owner rented an engine instead. Which would explain it having to come off eventually. Or, maybe lien was cleared somehow and engine had a failure? Lots of questions, not many answers. But yes, she's certainly worth saving - seen much worse.

254K's can be hard to find used. You can convert 251's to 254K, but then you need the fuel controls and some plumbing etc.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 12:14:18 pm »
What about a rental engine?

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 12:35:44 am »
Just to follow up. Well, there isn't much to follow up, really. When we last checked, seller still thinks it's a $300K airframe - so, there she sits costing $50/day in ramp fee's.. What a waste.