News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Call for price - a waste of time..  (Read 5507 times)

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Call for price - a waste of time..
« on: August 14, 2017, 11:58:55 pm »
The old pet peeve of mine, Call For Price, turns out to be delusional yet again. Pisses me off, because it does neither the seller any favors, nor the buyer. All it does is waste everyone's time and erode the confidence. Aircraft will be on market forever, seller will get frustrated, buyers will stay away and broker just looks like he doesn't know what he's doing/can't manage the sellers expectations - both equally bad.

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/19748549/1981-commander-840

I emailed seller and they want $540K for it. It has less than 90hrs to hot sections on both engines, and once you've spent $150K doing that, you only have 300hrs left until you need to overhaul them for another $500K!! Buying this airplane at their price, you'll spend $1.2million for an old 840 with a panel from hell. I can get an 840 from Bruce for probably $800K with halftime -10's!

What are they thinking? They think someone is just going to walk in from the cotton field, clueless, having done no research and just pony up?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 12:03:29 am by Adam Frisch »
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

ghancock

• Administrator
Re: Call for price - a waste of time..
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 07:29:25 am »
Just like the guy in AL wanting 60K for his 680FP that hasn't flown in 10 years and been sitting outside with cracked windows and nests in the entire plane.  Sure it can possibly be flown somewhere but there is no way you'd get it going without spending another $120k on it and even then it would be questionable.  Who would take that risk?  What pisses me off (and I try to not say anything) is that he lied about pretty much everything on the plane before I drove out to visit.  I don't think there was a single thing on the plane he didn't lie about, whether on purpose or just ignorant ( hope the latter) but then it really doesn't matter to me.  Stupid people piss me off just as much as liars :-)

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 07:42:52 am »
Yep, it's so sad. All it results in is the pictures below.

Drove around Corona airport yesterday and out of all the tie downs, I would suggest over 50% were ramp mummies and wrecks beyond any salvation. The saddest part is that someone, somewhere is still paying the tie down fee for these planes, probably thinking it is worth lots of money, when in fact, you'd have to pay someone money just to get rid of it...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 07:45:28 am by Adam Frisch »
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 07:48:31 am »
lol, man, do you ever sleep?  Isn't it like 4am over there? :-)

--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Jeff Johnson

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 10:28:47 am »
Friends don't let friends buy dukes :)

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 12:31:01 pm »
Well, the Duke with no engines I can understand...

On that 840, I don't think anyone in their right mind would hot section those engines. You'd just go straight to overhaul.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of south of the border airplanes, but maybe that's just me. I'm sure there are some good ones, just none that I've seen so far.

The rest of it looks okay. The panel is more or less as it came from the factory, plus an ancient GPS. That's not a bad thing, as many of these airplanes have been bodged and rewired so many times that it becomes a nightmare. In that airplane's case, you could easily rip everything out and replace it with a G1000, or a G600 and GTNs. Pretty straightforward and you'd end up with a great panel.

The refreshment centers are exactly how it came from the factory. My airplane still has the right side unit, and the left side is converted to shelving for books, etc, which I really like. You could keep it as-is, get rid of it altogether, or replace it with something else.

As for the pricing, it does seem high. However, as the owner of a 980 with engines which aren't that far behind this airplane, I hope there is a base level which a decent airframe with runout engines is worth!

There may also be some tax benefits for a Mexican buyer, if there are import duties, etc-- I don't know much about that.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 12:51:24 pm »
Don,

Are you coming to the flyin this year?  Would love to see your plane.

Glenn
--glenn

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 06:32:40 pm »
I don't think so, unfortunately. It's too far, and a busy time of year for me.

I'll probably get my airplane painted in the next year or two-- that'll be the time to see it.