News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Props or new AP?  (Read 12118 times)

Steve binnette

New Props or new AP?
« on: August 24, 2017, 01:17:52 pm »
My plane really needs nothing, BUT if you had $100k what would you spend it on.

MT 5 bladed props or a new STEC 2100 AP?

donv

• Administrator
Re: New Props or new AP?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 02:41:35 pm »
What props do you have now?

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 04:41:15 pm »
If you do the autopilot, I'll be interested to hear about it. That's what I would do, mostly because my Hartzell props are fairly new (installed in 2012), and I'm quite happy with them.

The only issue I have with my Collins autopilot is the lack of altitude select. Well, and a pitch control wheel would be nice, but I've gotten over that.

Steve binnette

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 09:36:12 pm »
I have Hartzells but they will be due for overhaul at my next 150hr.

I have the pitch wheel and alt select on my Collins, it's ok.

It just does not integrate real well with my new Garmin stuff and it seems sluggish.

There are some setting I have not played with yet in the G600 maintenance settings.  I will try that sometime soon.

Not sure the digital gives a bunch of additional features.  It would integrate with my G600 much better.

The VS control and alt preselect would be part of the G600,  that would be nice.  I would expect it to be more precise but I am not sure that would be true.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 12:22:45 am »
Yes, the advantage of my low-option airplane is that it integrates better with the G600. Since I don't have altitude select, I can just use the alerter built into the G600, and I also didn't need to keep the old VSI.

So all my airplane really does is pitch hold (set manually using the control wheel steering button) and IAS hold, which actually works fairly well. Having VS and altitude select would be really nice, though.

I think at some point, I'll probably do the autopilot.

If you already have Hartzells, the overhaul isn't all that much. And I don't think you'd see much gain in performance with the MT props, but I could be wrong. They would probably be quieter, though.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 12:51:35 am »
Nevermind the gain, think about the looks Steve! The looks!  ;)

Honestly, with the new GFC500 and GFC600 autopilots and the fact that both Dynon Skyview and Trio are developing FAA approved digital autopilots, I think competition will increase and prices come down considerably in this field, so I personally would hold off until dust settles. If you can hold off, that is.

Why not do both?   ;) *stirring pot*
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

Steve binnette

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 09:11:22 pm »
My AP is adequate.  It does level off at pre selected altitudes and has a VS control.  I am able to use the G600 alt alerter I just need to set the altitude into two windows.   

I have it set so the Collins alert goes off at 1000ft and the G600 alert goes off at 200ft.  I like having two alerts.

The MT props would help with TO roll and climb but add very little if anything for cruise.  They would definitely be quieter and lighter.

Absolutely love the LOOKS!

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 09:11:40 am »
Yeah, the looks are pretty sweet, however, the more blades you throw out there the slower the plane will be in cruise.  I've never seen more blades equaling more speed.  They do climb better but seriously... 3000ft/min isn't enough already? :-)

Go for some IR stuff instead.  Not as expensive and would seriously impress :-)

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Steve binnette

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 11:25:55 pm »
Glen you are supremely practical as am I.  My 21 year old son with his freshly minted multi rating is not so practical.  He has been the devil on my shoulder whispering go ahead Dad those props will look awesome!

I think I will paint the Hartzells black like th MTs and see how that looks.  My money is better spent somewhere else.

Thanks for the sanity check!

JMA

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 04:53:09 pm »
Steve- just an FYI ours were painted black, it lasted about 10hrs flying time. 

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 05:02:08 pm »
But it sure looked good for those 10 hours!

JMA

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 05:09:54 pm »
Agree with you there Don!

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 05:36:36 pm »
You know there is a lot to be said for a 21 year old son with a new multi... perhaps he is more inspiring than we ever were at 21.

I say indulge his unbridled enthusiasm... as it will not be that long before he is just a boring and practical as we all have become in our more matured states. 8)

Jeff Johnson

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 09:27:45 pm »
Hope not!

Steve binnette

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 09:36:38 pm »
i am envious of my son.  He only spends money on his car (69 chevelle SS) or his bowing hunting stuff.  To him those props would be like a new set of wheels for his car.  Except for the costs!!!

They look good in black.  I was thinking flat black.  Anybody know what it costs to,have them painted during an overhaul?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 11:34:45 pm by Steve binnette »