News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Engine Out  (Read 4998 times)

ghancock

• Administrator
Engine Out
« on: August 25, 2017, 08:29:58 am »
Well, I had to run up to Indiana a couple days ago and yesterday I was on my way home.  The #3 cylinder was starting to run rough and since you all know I'm an expert at burning up cylinders (at least the old ones), I figured it was probably getting a burn exhaust valve that would need to be fixed.  However, as the flight progressed the engine began to run rougher and rougher and eventually coughed enough that I figured it was time she was put down.  The Gopro was running for the entire event so if you're interested you can just watch it unfold.

After I got down and we pulled the valve cover off the entire exhaust valve was wiggling around where the guide had completely broken off.  I got a buddy to fly up and get me so my 50 minutes I had left turned into a 2-1/2 hour trip back in a 172 :-) . Of course he had the 2-1/2 hours up as well.  I haven't flown a 172 in a while so I got to fly all the way home and land so it worked out good.  Except for that 2-1/2 hours part.

https://youtu.be/p78xWekdG04

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
Re: Engine Out
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 08:50:16 am »
Looks pretty much like text book ops. Always better to gain "actual" engine out experience descending than climbing.
GOOD JOB!!!

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 08:58:06 am »
Yeah, that was my 4th time landing with an engine out but first time in the commander.  I kept reaching up for the gear handle and kept saying, not yet, not yet.  I also came in at 130 just to be sure I had enough control all the way through and you can see that when I flair as I went a way down the runway before I touched down bleeding it all off.  I also left the flaps up just in case.

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 11:19:51 am »
Good job!

Huck-Mag

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 01:12:14 pm »
Way to go, Glenn!!

Brent