News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Interesting placement of iPad...  (Read 6198 times)

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Interesting placement of iPad...
« on: September 09, 2017, 01:32:54 pm »
I've thought about it myself, but it would block too much. Plus it must throw the compass completely out of whack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oz6kbKBApQ
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

ghancock

• Administrator
Re: Interesting placement of iPad...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 05:20:47 pm »
That most definitely would.  My setup with it horizontal and in front of the glare shield doesn't effect the compass much if at all.

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Badger

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 01:00:06 pm »
I like the idea, but it would block too much for me, PLUS when I did have my iPad mounted under the compass, it definitely changed the compass reading

ed
Ed

Huck-Mag

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 05:10:06 pm »
Mounting my iPad (for ForeFlight) on the dash affected the compass so I installed a RAM ball on the yoke. I like having as much real estate out the window as possible. The 696 had previously been mounted on the co-pilot side of the dash and I now have it installed in the panel on the co-pilot side. I regularly get compliments from passengers on the great unobstructed view.

Brent

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 07:28:32 am »
Yeah, I had to mount mine down at the very bottom of the post and then have the ipad itself slid over the front edge so that it mounts down in front a little to keep from messing with the compass.  It always amazes me at how large these planes are but the panels are always squeezed tight with gauges.  I actually went through mine to see what I could get rid of and did remove a few things.  But it never amounted in having enough room on the panel for anything extra.

I did try mine on the yoke but I don't like it moving around in the wind while I'm trying to enter a new point or trying to look up frequencies.  Plus I'm growing blind in my old age and if it gets too close I have to get different specs :-)

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.