News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Fuel caps.  (Read 8126 times)

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Fuel caps.
« on: September 11, 2017, 09:52:21 pm »
Shaw Aero got bought by Parker Hannifin sometime ago now but course PH couldn't wait to get rid of the little small scrappy stuff like making STC'd fuel caps for the Commander line etc. Problem is that the original ones the plane came with are a pain in the b*tt. Half the time the fueler don't have the broad screwdrivers to open them, and when they do they don't understand how they work and you risk having them put back wrong and end up losing it or dumping fuel overboard.

There's got to be a better solution. Is there someone else who makes replacement or STC'd fuel caps that are user friendly?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:05:10 pm by Adam Frisch »
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

donv

• Administrator
Re: Fuel caps.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 01:13:56 am »
The only time I've ever had a problem with the fuel caps was at Atlantic SJC. Nowhere else in the US has this been an issue.

The caps are pretty nice, actually, because you can stick your hand on it and feel if it's properly closed by whether the button in the center is down. You should make that part of your preflight, by the way.

Does your airplane have the anti-siphon flap inside the filler neck?

Also, are you saying that Twin Commander can't provide the caps any more?

If so, that's good to know, because they do wear out. We used to have problems with the center fuel caps on 690s, because they got used all the time while the wings were used less often.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 12:40:25 pm »
It has anti-siphon flap inside. In fact, you can not engage lock if that's not closed.

It's just not an easy cap to open. Once you've turned the flat sure quarter turn, then there's mass confusion - should they turn the cap to make it open or should the button pop up? Mine don't pop up at all, so you have to almost pry it open with a sharp object. I don't know if I have an early model or if there's something wrong with it.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 02:24:37 pm »
The button should pop up, I'm pretty sure. Yours might be worn out. It shouldn't be that hard to use, and most line service people should be able to figure it out.

Can you still get new ones from Twin Commander?

Jeff Johnson

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 09:01:09 pm »
I use my finger nails and get it opened and closed each time. 

The company I bought it from used to use a quarter to open.  Which worked great, until the quarter fell into the tank

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 01:58:27 am »
Adam - I think you need a new spring in your caps.  There is an STC'd install for the tabbed caps.  I recall almost $4,000 last time I checked and I'm not sure if that was for 2 or 3.  Makes the originals look real nice  ;D

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 12:03:52 pm »
Be mindful that the tabs can wear out, and even if the cap appears to be locked, it can still get sucked out by the slipstream. We had lost a bunch of center fuel caps on 690s a few years back before we figured out that the caps were simply worn out. The wing caps didn't get used enough to wear out.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 03:03:44 pm »
That's what I'm thinking now as well - the springs in each unit must be completely shot. It's bizarre they'd be shot in all three of them, but that's probably possible. Makes sense they'd pop up and not just be flat like they're now... ::)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 04:30:06 pm by Adam Frisch »

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 03:58:40 pm »
Some previous operator might have figured out that the center cap gets more use than the others and rotated them.

Jfelipe.rojasr

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 10:34:47 am »
Hi all,

Our MRO just quoted us the three caps for a 690A in $2,600 USD part number 630216. The center cap was chipped on the edge making fuel vapours escape. This is why we decided to change all three at once. Pilots instead of using central tank used wings cap decreasing their lifetime.

Thanks for the advice of rotate the fuel caps. how often do yo rotate them each 150 hour inspection?

Kind Regards

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 11:46:24 am »
I'd probably rotate them every 150 hours... seems reasonable to me. With the Jetprop and no center tank, I don't have that issue.