News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Aerostar?  (Read 22287 times)

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Re: Aerostar?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2017, 01:44:20 pm »
Aerostars are great. In fact, they handle much better than any Commander. They have a lot of clever Ted Smith designs in them, and you can tell some of them evolved from his Commander thinking, like the fuel system, the gear etc. Very simple.

The downsides to the Aerostar is: It has a narrow cross section and thin wings (that's what makes it so fast) and the thin wings make it need more runway. The cabin is kinda snug for 2 big guys up front. It's tightly cowled and has a lot of systems that all need to work properly. With two turbos, two wastegates, two wastegate actuators, scavenge pumps etc on each engine, all in a tight space, it doesn't take much before something needs a little attention. For instance, you had to mouse milk the actuator arm on the wastegates every 50hrs, or else they'd stick as they got carbonated up. This would result in bootstrapping on descents from altitude.

So, basically, if you're willing to stay ahead of the maintenance on them, be pro-active with it, they're great planes that deliver unbeatable bang for the buck. Not only that, but a 601P leaned to within an inch of its life, is also a very economical plane. 25gal/hr doing 200kts is very good economy (the 700's will burn more).  But if you don't want to do that or feel like you'd rather fly more, then a turbine will offer more dispatch reliability.

Selling the Aerostar and buying the TC was mainly something that came upon me by pure chance - I found a turbine I could afford! But besides being a Commander nut already,  enabling this was a realisation - I see where aviation is going. And in a world with ever more Signature FBO rip offs, security checks, TSA nonsense, restrictions etc, an aircraft that can operate off the beaten path will become more and more valuable in the future. With a Commander, you could basically land at a grass field and do self serve, in an Aerostar, that becomes a little more problematic. This is where the Commanders shine. They're like 4x4 SUV's. Don't need no stinking runway.

So, it depends on your goals ultimately. You want bang for buck - Aerostar. You want dispatch reliability - turbine. You want a bush plane and a SUV - any Commander. And if you want speed to go with that - Turbine Commander.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

Jeff Johnson

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2017, 08:25:23 pm »
Don and Adam

So the 690a in gig harbor which I looked at is a dash 10 powered plane.  And it's in super tip top shape minus the fact it's only flown some 50 hours in the past 4 years. 
But other than that it's good to go and one engine has some 1100-1200 hours left on it. 
The other motor will need taking care of soon 4-5 hundred hours I think. 
But here's the kicker.  It can be bought right.  And I mean really right. 
But other than that I still like the Aerostar idea only because I don't really need 8 seats, usually only fly into long runways. And love the speed. 
However I'm still flying and loving my 500s it's GREAT AND AMAZING.

So we shall see.  In the end I'll still be flying and enjoying ted smiths accomplishments!

So it's a win win

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2017, 08:32:22 pm »
Get the 690A in Gig Harbor. And get Maria to fly with you for a while.

Jeff Johnson

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2017, 11:59:47 pm »
Don,

Who's Maria???

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2017, 12:32:14 am »
Maria:

http://twincommander.com/team_member/maria-plunket/

I haven't talked to Maria in a few years, but she's been the go-to person in the Seattle area for a long time for Commander pilot services. Hopefully she hasn't taken an airline job or something. I'm pretty sure she's flown the Gig Harbor airplane.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2017, 11:53:20 am »
Buddabeli, what have you decided to do?

Jeff Johnson

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2017, 05:46:22 pm »
currently,

Planeless :(

looking for the right Aerostar.  But its a fractured community and lots of junk and lots of overpriced airplanes too.

Going through the process and hoping something falls on my lap for x-Mas

Ill let you know what happens

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2017, 11:48:09 pm »
If you're set on an Aerostar, I would call Jim Christy at Aerostar Aircraft. You might pay up a little bit, but it will be worth it.

Although I'd still go for a 690, over an Aerostar. But I can understand.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2017, 11:31:12 am »
The reality is that once you've tasted turbines, it's really hard to go back to pistons. LOP, ROP, constant oil changes, wastegates that stick, turbos that coke up, cylinders that spike etc - turbines are soo much easier. But they are cheaper to run (but not that much compared to a 690) and in the case of the Aerostar they also perform almost as well. But if you can swing it, get an early 690A/B with -5's and fly the c*ap out of it.

Bruce has got this for sale, for example:

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/21974535/1978-commander-690b

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2017, 12:35:16 pm »
Wow! I had no idea that airplane was that cheap! That's a way better deal than any Aerostar, for sure. And I don't believe it's been sitting either-- I saw it taxi into KOAK a few months ago.

You could fly that airplane for 7-800 hours and probably sell it for the same price you paid for it.

Jeff Johnson

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2017, 08:47:13 pm »
Wow Thats quite an airplane.  And already done up with 750 GPS.

too on the motors 5000 hours or 5400?

Whats funny is my wife just asked if we should do a HLOC on the house for the plane purchase  :o

Kind of caught me off guard to say the least!

whats the transition like going from 500s to 690b?

It might be in the cards

Thanks for pointing this out.

I was actually considering a non turbocharged 600a Aerostar.  The other models are really Fickle...

Steve binnette

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2017, 12:06:34 am »
I like the double tables in the cabin. 

What?s that on the tail?

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2017, 01:55:57 am »
The guy that owns it is a big farmer in California. I can't recall what he's known for, but I believe he's the biggest grower of something... maybe California oranges?

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2017, 06:25:53 am »
5400hr engines, I assume. I don't think I've ever heard of -5's being on 5000hr program.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2017, 12:59:56 pm »
-5s are all 5400 hour engines.