News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2017 Flyin Kansas City  (Read 15295 times)

Badger

Re: 2017 Flyin Kansas City
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 09:58:26 am »
I hated to miss the fly-in!  Looks like you guys are having a blast.  Unfortunately, while enroute to the Reno Air Races, I received a text from home about a family health emergence and had to turn around and head back to Texas.  That same issue is what kept me from flying up to Mosby last week, as well.  I am sure I missed some great stories and the opportunity to meet more fellow Commander owners.  Maybe next time...

I actually am flying up to Mosby in about three weeks to hand my commander over to Darryl and get the Annual, plus a couple of engine overhauls completed.  I am certainly looking forward to seeing him and John Towner while there.

Fly safe, Guys!

Ed
Ed

butchm

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2017, 10:30:30 pm »
Glen, Thanks for being the photo journalist for our group.  I really enjoyed the pictures of our fly-in..
This year was one of the best for seminars and great story telling.  John Towner is a wealth of information and great stories.  Looking forward to next year where ever.

Peter Bichier

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2017, 06:26:39 am »
Hi Guys (and Gals?)

Sorry for being so silent in the group, I was telling Glenn during the Flyin this forum is WAY WORSE than Facebook, once you get in and you start reading I get sucked in for HOURS!

Anyway, it seems that Glenn as usual was up and running and telling you what was happening so in order to illustrate the talks that he was talking about I will follow this posting with a link to ALL my photos from the meeting. If you want one in particular you should all be able to download it and do what the heck you want with it!

Steve! thought about you a lot! it was SURREAL to be flying a 35K w a turbo commander and seeing 737 and Airbuses fly by and because there was only a dynamic head set in the passenger seats and the radios were cut off in the back I just decided to hang out like the good old times when I used to hang out in my Dad's 560 where NO ONE (even the pilot) had head sets. Granted a straight 560 and a 900 is DAY and NIGHT as far as decibels, but with those composite 5 blades I just did not even bother damping the sound and I actually could hear most of the conversation between Robert and Morris during the 3.5 flight there (and back but that is another story). I have a couple of videos, I'll see how I can post them as well.

As you might see from the pictures we made it up to 375 kts GS, granted we had a hefty back wind, but also the door was leaking tons (that was part of my job identifying and photographing the leaks), the yaw damper was practically inoperable so we constantly had to adjust the rudder and the turbines are at the end of their lives... True AS never exceeded 290 kts but considering a 1981 airframe with still problems to be solved, not bad!

In the 900 like a 1000 you don't have the picture window, but you have the "loon" so I sat there for a while and darn it is an awesome view! (you will see it in some of the pictures how far back you are able to see the nacelles front and back). Indeed the luggage compartment is compromised, but Morris had a HUGE box with him for presentations, plus his luggage, plus Roberts' books (2 more boxes) and 2 more of his personal luggage and a ladder, all the necessary ground equipment for the plane and my stuff and there was still extra room!

Very informative meeting between the maintenance and avionics and just trying to push the airplane beyond the enveloppe, I know there is kinda of a gap between the old forum people and the new crew, but in both group of people there is a ton of doubt to make it to these fly ins, but if you have any doubts, on one of those I ended up having dinner with Bob Hoover and I can tell you the guy was sharp as a razor!

Lots going on on in these meetings, tons of great experiences, great pilot owner stories, just a fantastic time overall!

(Just to give you an idea last night Morris called me and spent an hour and a half debriefing about our trip...:) haha AWESOME!!!

Not the best pictures, but I just want to show you the "energy" more than just flat quality.

Enjoy!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SPeWNrDAIxkyi7U32

Peter (who just received a bunch of energy back from the group)

Hope to see more new faces next year and awesome to see the 520 and 680FL, Glen's 680FP and a batch of the 500's! haha! (the Towners own 33!) all work horses!

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2017, 12:18:47 pm »
Thanks for those great pictures, Peter! Looks like great fun was had by all! I love the little snack trays in 900 at FL! Looks better than on any business class flights!

Also noticed that Roberts rear gear door seems to be drooping on the ground - does it come up snugly in flight?
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2017, 01:03:13 pm »
Awesome pictures Peter but you're missing the picture of your women wearing the jewels. :-)

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

WilsonRiggan

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2017, 06:04:58 pm »
Maybe this new diesel engine is something that could bring back the 685, just like that other project with the V8 engines:

http://www.epi-eng.com/aircraft_engine_conversions/orenda_on_aero_commander.htm

By the time my freshly-overhauled engines are out of time avgas will be even more scarce than it is now, so I'd be up for a conversion... as long as they are at least as much horsepower (435hp).  I'd go for a slight increase... say, 450 or 500... whatever they can reasonably achieve.

Regards,

Wilson

Peter Bichier

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2017, 06:27:59 am »
haha! Darn I missed the chance of having those jewels on her neck, went out for dinner with some friends last Wednesday and she actually wore the whole thing! (had a batch of complements so who knows if they are coming back next year :)

The doors in flight as you can see on the other pictures were flawless (at least on this one) I wonder how efficient they are and if I was Robert I would probably try to fly her with and without them at the same levels and see how much do you gain in speed but they can indeed also be a head ache. I think they were saying that these doors are also pretty pricey in the 10s... (more titanium for you my friend)

Yeah it was REALLY fun to be up there, like I said I never wore head sets and I picked most of the conversations. Morris' wife brought all the picnic! I could only apologize for not having a skirt to the guys upfront...

Who knows when or if EVER these diesel make it (MOE was an engine builder and he was SUPER skeptical) what happen to the Orenda engine? but let say IF they are able to hang them, remember they also have a much higher compression so I would assume even the same hp would give you a better torque and keep more power at altitude.

I remember my first crossing of the Andes on a gas High Lux and the 185 HP gas engine would die or perform really poorly above 3500 meter (you have to climb at 5000 meter again) where as the diesel with 110 was a rocket.

Nos vemos,

Peter

PS wait a minute I actually took a picture! wink wink

Peter Bichier

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2017, 06:46:20 am »
Oh I also wanted to add a couple of videos:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/0rem2JXcMJ63LgiU2

Hope it works,

p.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2017, 05:00:17 pm »
Unfortunate to see that 690 with the whale paint job just sitting there, getting covered with dust. Hate to see one rotting away.

Other than that, nice pictures! Thanks for posting them.

drwho67

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2017, 05:47:46 pm »
Unfortunate to see that 690 with the whale paint job just sitting there, getting covered with dust. Hate to see one rotting away.

Other than that, nice pictures! Thanks for posting them.

If you can say, what is the story behind the whale 690?

Brian

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2017, 08:03:36 pm »

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2017, 03:03:31 am »
No, unfortunately the seller is a little too far removed from reality, think's it is a plane with some good stuff in (low time 10's, Peter Schiff CCU), but it hasn't flown in 10 years, needs SB241 done, and just has a funky smell interior, which tells me the windows and the seals have been leaking for a long time. She'll need a good going over.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

Peter Bichier

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2017, 03:37:17 am »
Tell me about it... I often fly out of RHV and I clearly remember as I was taxing seen this "whale 690" so I promised myself I would check it out at some point.

These are pictures from 15 Feb 2014, the plane looked less abandoned but yet it was obviously not flying much, already back then I looked inside and you could tell it just had been sitting there for a while.

Then one day again taxing for taking off I noticed it was not there! (talked to one of the pilots and told me he flew it "sometimes" and the owner indeed lived in TX... When I saw it next time the tires were again inflated and looked clean, so I thought it was back on line!

Already at the end of last year it had been seating in SCK for while... Heard Morris telling that the guy just does not want to put any money into it.

Sad indeed, why would you let your investment rot? it's not like she is in a hangar and kept up... I just wander sometimes how people can sleep, but then there is always two sides to a story.

Peter

Peter Bichier

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2017, 04:04:50 am »
While we are at it, I am finding other fotos of the whale (funny how memory serves us, I can't even remember taking these :)

So she was in RHV in June 2013

Did you guys ever mention or talked about  the 685TT also at RHV? another guy who subscribed to the book and when had a total hydraulic failure did not pull the circuit breaker and by the time he needed pressure for brakes once landed he had nothing left :) Besides I have been told he came a bit too fast, touched way too far (3k runway) but that is another story!

I have photos of that plane if anyone is interested and it is easier for me at this point to mention it than to look in the forum (my apologies for not looking and sorry if it is a repeat).

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2017, 12:20:27 pm »
Was that whale airplane sitting out for years without a gust lock? That's not good.