News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Weight and balance.  (Read 5796 times)

sbdpilot

Weight and balance.
« on: September 05, 2017, 04:13:50 pm »
My aircraft is very nose heavy. Looking for a legal location to attach some aft ballast. Any ideas?

Dhavillandpilot

Re: Weight and balance.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 06:24:54 pm »
I had the same problem with my 695.

Our structural engineer ok'd putting ballast on the rear frame. We now have 19kgs there and the cog has moved back to more acceptable levels

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 09:59:15 pm »
I'm not sure there is a "LEGAL" place to put that.  Its just a matter of finding a structural place to put it and the farther back the less weight needed obviously.  There are plenty of places to put it though back there.  My airplane has 400lbs of crap back there so I know it can handle it most anywhere :-)

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 01:54:12 am »
What plane?  Many if not most of the turbines have accommodations for lead on the aft side of the last bulkhead.

sbdpilot

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 09:19:18 pm »
It's a 500A with a Colemill 300 conversion.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 09:05:04 am »
Have you figured out how much weight you need and how far back?  There used to be radio shelves and stuff back in the tail that I'm sure will support a good bit of weight.  Do you have any numbers you can share?

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.