News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Some sort of circuit that can cycle power between outputs?  (Read 5401 times)

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Some sort of circuit that can cycle power between outputs?
« on: August 19, 2017, 03:44:47 pm »
On all the Commanders I've owned, the strobe light has been tied with the nav light. Seems it's like how they wired them in the old days. This is very annoying at night as you keep blinding everyone with your strobes, but if you turn them off, so does the Nav lights, making you invisible. Two evils. Of course it can be re-wired correctly, but it's a bit of a deal as you have to take interior out, go through pressure vessel, run a cable all the way up the wings etc. So it made me think:

Is there no little logic IC circuit that you could toggle through outputs and mount in wingtip? So, you turn the Navs on with by turning switch on, just like normal. If you then turn switch off again, it will cycle to the next output, which powers strobe only. Turn them off again and it cycles to give power to both outputs simultaneously, so you now have bot Nav and strobe on. Is there any such solution?
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

JimC

• Administrator
Re: Some sort of circuit that can cycle power between outputs?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 05:28:45 pm »
How good are your analog engineering skills?

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/digital/chpt-11/finite-state-machines/

I built some EPROMS to do this in college; but it's been a while...
500B, B200

ghancock

• Administrator
Re: Some sort of circuit that can cycle power between outputs?
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 10:27:59 pm »
Do you know where the junction is for the navy and strobes?  If they all come into the switch it might not be that complicated to add another switch and separate the wires.  Would be my first move anyway.  Either way you would have to isolate those wires in order to only power the strobe or navy lights.  Also, the strobe runs into a box that actually powers those bulbs so it would probably be easier to isolate than you think.  But haven't looked into it so can't say for sure.  I will add it to my too list and let you know. :-)

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.