News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Avionics Buss Remote Reset Cirucuit Breaker  (Read 6459 times)

r27cj

Avionics Buss Remote Reset Cirucuit Breaker
« on: November 07, 2017, 12:41:49 pm »
The #2 Avionics Buss on my airplane has, on an intermittent basis, been coming on with the battery switch.  After consulting with Twin Commander Tech Support and viewing the actual Rockwell wiring diagram for my aircraft, the best guess is the 6141H82 Remote Reset Circuit Breaker in the aft junction box is sticking.  The only replacement part I have been able to locate is a 'salvage' part, removed from an aircraft being parted out.  I have found a 'replacement' part, an electronic version manufactured by Eaton, p/n M82283/02-09  It is not, however an 'official' FAA Approved replacement part.

Has anyone else had this issue?  If so, how was it resolved?

Robert C. Jackson

ghancock

• Administrator
Re: Avionics Buss Remote Reset Cirucuit Breaker
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 01:39:52 pm »
If the breaker has the same characteristics of the original I would not hesitate to replace it.  I am not totally up to speed on the whole (if you can't buy it anymore ) process but at some point you just can't get replacement parts and very few of those original parts have pixie dust in them any more so at some point you have to replace them.  And I'm sure not going to junk an airplane over a circuit breaker. :-)

just my 2 cents,

glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

r27cj

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 09:04:17 pm »
Thanks.  I have had some further discussions with Twin Commander.  The 6141H82 relay was 'crossed' to a 6141H172 Relay.  Those are also obsolete and 'out of production', but I have managed to locate a 'serviceable' unit that will come with an 8130 form. Twin Commander approved the use of the H172 relay, so a serviceable unit is an 'FAA Legal' part to put into the airplane.   

Twin Commander Tech Support is also looking at the 'cross' for the 6141H172 relay, the 6041H217 relay, which is in fact currently in production.  As the Type Certificate holder, should they agree, then that unit would be an 'FAA Legal' part to use.

Use of anything else would 'legally' require approval from an electrical DER.

r27cj

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 03:47:27 pm »
I resolved this issue.  The problem was not related to the Avionics Buss Remote Reset CB in the tailcone box.

INFO:  I wound up purchasing a serviceable relay with an FAA Form 8130, obtained through Worthington Aviation.  The part number:  6141H172, a 28v/50 Amp relay.  The relay in the aircraft was removed, and contrary to both the original wiring diagram from Rockwell as well as the information from Twin Commander Tech Support ... that part number was 6141H171, a 28v/41 Amp relay.  As the problem turned out to be something else, it was put back in the airplane. 

Also, in speaking with a number of other sources on this issue, the 'consensus' of opinion was that I could replace the relay with a 'like part' without having to bother with an electrical DER or FAA form 337, as the 'like part' was in fact a 'minor alteration' and therefore requires only a logbook entry.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 04:43:57 pm »
What model of Commander was this for?

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 06:12:11 pm »
What model of Commander was this for?

All of the Jetprops have them.