News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Overhaul Time  (Read 6026 times)

Badger

Overhaul Time
« on: November 08, 2017, 10:49:46 am »
Last week I dropped off my 500B at Central Airlines in Mosby to get my Annual and both engines overhauled.  While there I had a nice visit and lunch with John Towner and Darryl Frink.  Those men (and their employees) have kept my Commander in the air for the past ten or so years.  Good guys and good friends.  But, I will now be without my baby for almost three months as they pull the engines apart and rebuild them.  Fortunately, I have a few friends here with SR-22s and AC-11s, so I will get a little flying time, although SEL, while waiting on my 500.  It is GREAT to land at an airport with a ramp FULL of Commanders!

Ed
Ed

ghancock

• Administrator
Re: Overhaul Time
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 01:36:29 pm »
I'm shocked you didn't take it back to Andreas.

:-)
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Badger

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 04:14:59 pm »
Funny guy!
Ed

Badger

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 09:04:26 am »
Update here:   I did get my Commander 500B back from the overhauls (and Annual) in early February and have been trying to fly my butt off since then (South Texas to Albuquerque and Las Vegas, South Texas to Omaha, and more).  The girl is flying great, as expected.  Both overhauled engines are purring for me now.  I am past the break-in period for the engines (which went well...and had me flying ROP and very fast!), and I am, once again, flying LOP.  My fuel flows at 10,000 feet, or so, is less than 11.5 gph, per engine, and airspeed stays between 160 and 170 knots.  Not too shabby.  CHTs (and EGTs) stay cool, so I am a happy guy.  ;-)  I don't have any money left (laughing), but the airplane is a real treat to fly.  I think the next BIG trip will probably be Oshkosh, followed by Reno, but I may throw one or two other fun ones in before then.  I still love having folks at almost every airport walk up and ask me about my aircraft and commanders in general.  :-)
Ed

Roy

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 11:47:22 am »
If Reno means the Air Races, be sure to look me up in the pits of Biplane Race #6 (Miss Dianne, Jeff Lo's "Flyin'Lo Racing" Team). I "promoted" to Crew Chief last year.  8)

I'm envious of you "driving" around a 500B with fresh OH's! Jealous too.

Roy