News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Disaster  (Read 7926 times)

Dhavillandpilot

Disaster
« on: January 28, 2016, 11:00:33 pm »
Hi everybody,

A lesson in being careful who you deal with.

Just been told we have steel in the filters of one engine GTISO 520K off my AC685. So a bulk strip is needed, me thinking "bloody pilot" letting the props drive the engine and wrecking a main gear.

No when they pulled the Generator off guess what?

The people that over hauled the generator didn't a. Torque the bolt properly then we discover they installed an incorrect thrust washer. The washer was rubbing on the bolts heads that hold the gear on to the crankshaft.

Still needs a bulk strip but only to replace 4 bolts - end cost $11,000 Aust dollars. The good news after 450 hours flying the pilots have looked after the engine and it is otherwise perfect.

Now the bad news, the generator overhaul people don't want to know me, even though I've spent probably around $20k with them in the last 12 to 18 months. Basically said sue us.

Dhavillandpilot

Re: Disaster
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 11:18:39 pm »
Pictures of the disaster

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 07:02:31 am »
It is truly amazing how sooo many shops with sooo many  professional licensed mechanics refuse to own up to their work!!! I guess it is the same world wide... What a pitty... I THINK YOU SHOULD SUE THEM!!! They are not fit to be in the business..

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 09:15:24 am »
I would absolutely sue them just for the sake of making them own up to their mistakes.  It will cost them more in legal fees than in fixing the problem or at least partly paying for it.  The fact is though, we're all screwed in the end.  The people that started all these shops are old and leaving and the people they left in charge are mostly idiots that don't want to do a good job or just don't care.  There are still some good ones out there but I bet if you look the original guy is still in charge.  When he/she leaves we'll be right where we are with the rest.

People are concerned about general aviation and less and less people getting into the field. I'm more concerned with who is going to work on our planes and fix our props and engines when the old guys are gone.  Because the youngsters coming out of school today are more about what they're going to get than what they can give.  I hire them out of school and they are the most worthless group I've ever seen. 

This is why I work my butt off to know how to do as much as possible myself on my plane.  I don't trust anyone any more.

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

WilsonRiggan

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 07:20:26 pm »
Hi everybody,

A lesson in being careful who you deal with.

Just been told we have steel in the filters of one engine GTISO 520K off my AC685. So a bulk strip is needed, me thinking "bloody pilot" letting the props drive the engine and wrecking a main gear.

No when they pulled the Generator off guess what?

The people that over hauled the generator didn't a. Torque the bolt properly then we discover they installed an incorrect thrust washer. The washer was rubbing on the bolts heads that hold the gear on to the crankshaft.

Still needs a bulk strip but only to replace 4 bolts - end cost $11,000 Aust dollars. The good news after 450 hours flying the pilots have looked after the engine and it is otherwise perfect.

Now the bad news, the generator overhaul people don't want to know me, even though I've spent probably around $20k with them in the last 12 to 18 months. Basically said sue us.

Hi from a fellow 685'er in Florida.

My second unexpected overhaul came from exactly the same reason:  the generator drive assembly disintegrating.  Mine happened on takeoff and initial climb, so by the time I got the power back and got it back on the ground, a lot of damage had been done.  Since the engine already had 900 hours SMOH, we just went ahead and overhauled it.  Triad (Burlington, NC) did a great job.  Not cheap, but it runs wonderfully.

At least now I have two freshly-overhauled GTSIO-520K's.

Regards,

Wilson Riggan