News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: GO-435 Overhaul  (Read 9467 times)

Wig-Wag

GO-435 Overhaul
« on: November 10, 2017, 04:26:49 pm »
Howdy,

Does the collective brain trust of the Twin Commander Group have any recent experience with GO-435 overhauls? I understand Lycoming deny any responsibility or support for these older engines. How hard are parts to come by?

Central Cylinders of Omaha keeps popping up as a company that deals with these older engines. Any experience?

Have not bought an aircraft, yet, but I keep returning to look at the old 520s. I think the 500B would probably be the 'smarter' choice.

Any help, much appreciated. :)

jensscott

• Get busy living
    • Summit Point Kart
Re: GO-435 Overhaul
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 07:55:07 pm »
My 435's are doing fine, but I'm scrounging for rings now so when I need an OH I'll be possible.

FYI... the ECI 201 ringset for the Lycoming O-290 contains three of the 4 rings. Then you need to find the scraper.

I think it'd be great if you got a 520. Then there would be two of us flying them.

Jens

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 12:47:20 am »
There are still parts out there, but it's getting scarcer. I started having problems finding cylinders at the end of mine. And yes, Central Cylinder sit on all the gearbox surplus etc and have a biggest parts inventory. But as expected, it comes with a price. Overhauling it there is going to be $60K. If you can find the parts, any shop could do it for a lot less.

Love the 520. It's a nimble and gentle plane. Gets off the ground like a scalded ape. They're like STOL planes. But if you want to keep your maintenance a little simpler and not have to part hunt constantly, the 500B allows for less hassle.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

Wig-Wag

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 04:33:00 am »
Gentlemen, thank-you for the replies.

So, it is roughly what I expected; hunt for parts ahead of time.

jensscott it is reassuring that there is at least someone else mad out there. :)

Adam, I blame your impeccable taste on old aircraft that I can't look past these old Commanders. The look of the 520s with those engine nacelles and straight tail just resonates with me. Like most, I don't have an unlimited supply of thing ($$) that makes planes fly. Just trying to make sure my eyes are wide open before following my heart into trouble.

In my brief search so far, I found a cylinder kit Part Number: 05K21229. I assume although advertised, these are non-existent on part shelves?

Thanks for the help!

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 01:25:56 pm »
I?m all for keeping the classics going but a 500B is simple and serviceable. AND, I just happen to know where you can find a good looking one with two nearly fresh engines and props plus a $100,000 panel for about the price of two GO-435 overhauls.  No brainer.  ;)

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 01:50:07 pm »
You have to understand what you're getting into with one of these airplanes, and you need to do it for the right reasons.

What you are buying is an antique, plain and simple. Just like buying a 1938 Cadillac. Just like the Cadillac, you can mess around with it and take it on local trips, or even cross country trips (if you're up for an adventure). However, there is no rational justification for it other than "it's fun." And part of the fun has to be sourcing parts, working on it, tracking down obscure information, etc. And you need to be okay with it sitting for 6 months because you can't find some part, or something is being overhauled by some 80 year old guy who only works on odd Thursdays.

If you want an airplane to use, you need a 500. That's more like a 1960s Cadillac-- it can do everything a modern car or airplane can do, it might cost a little bit more and be a little bit more hassle, but probably not even that. You can make an actual, rational case, for owning it.

As for a 690 or later, those are just plain great airplanes, and just as usable as any new competitor.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 04:05:11 pm »
Also, one other thing to consider: these airplanes, when new, were quite expensive. They weren't the Chevy of their day, they really were the Cadillac. And so, things cost Cadillac prices... and they still do. Of course, that's why they're still around, too.

Roy

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 11:54:16 pm »
Don is spot-on. You want to fly rather than own a "classic", you want a 500A or 500B as compared to the "bargain" 520.

And Bruce states it well in a different way in my mind. He can get you a 500B with low SMOH's for the price of 2 520 OH's? No brainer.

And BTW, nothing against what Adam was able to do with his 520. But his venture was not painless either...

You want to fly, go with a 500A or -B. You want to work on a classic, a 520 is an option.

Roy

Wig-Wag

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 01:40:56 pm »
Guys,

Again, thank-you for your insights. You have confirmed what I alluded to in my first post, that a 500B would probably be the smarter choice. My original intention was to research what ownership involves so when I am in a position to buy next year that I'd be more informed. Still, a lot to learn yet. Whether it's a 520 or 500A/B, I am sure it'll be a Commander.

Expect more questions as I descend down the rabbit hole.

Jeff Johnson

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 08:44:04 pm »
Don?t forget about the 500s!

Just saying!

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 12:47:08 pm »
Don?t forget about the 500s!

Just saying!

Agreed.  They are about interchangeable generally in my view.  Depends more on the particular airplane.  I thought yours was long gone??

Jeff Johnson

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 07:45:29 am »
Should be done this week.

Long distance deal.