News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Auto Temperature Control  (Read 5312 times)

donv

• Administrator
Auto Temperature Control
« on: November 19, 2017, 09:20:08 pm »
As I read the AFM for my airplane, my impression is that the auto temperature control should allow you to set a temperature using the control knob, and the system should maintain that temperature.

That isn't how my system works. In my system, you have to set it to full cold on the ground (unless it is very cold, in which case maybe you turn it 30 degrees from full cold), and then turn the knob about 90 degrees at altitude (by "degrees" I mean degrees of knob rotation, not temperature). Before you start down, you need to go to full cold again, or it will get really hot about the time you get down to 5,000 feet or so.

I've had my cabin temperature sensor checked, and it's working find and has been cleaned up.

Is that just how it's supposed to work? I sort of thought "they're all that way" but then again, I was always told to just use the manual override, which I find to be unnecessary, at least in my airplane.

Bruce Byerly

Re: Auto Temperature Control
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 12:54:50 pm »
If it?s working it should attempt to maintain a temp. But what you describe is pretty much SOP for all of the systems because it pretty much follows the OAT change and you always want to stay ahead of it.

donv

• Administrator
Re: Auto Temperature Control
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 09:37:42 pm »
One tip I picked up from the AFM (and added to my personal checklist) is that you should turn the auto temp controller off before turning the generators off, and then turn it back on once the generators are on line. For whatever reason, most people I flew with either left it on all the time, or just used the manual override.