News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tire sidewalls  (Read 5522 times)

Steve binnette

Tire sidewalls
« on: January 10, 2018, 09:49:54 pm »
I was in Driggs Idaho over the Christmas break.  I had the plane  hangared the night before departure.  While pushing the plane into the hangar the line guy pick up on something on one of my main gear sidewalls. 

You could only see it when it was on the bottom of the tire where it bulges.  It was obviously a defect.  The tire is only a little over  two years old.
The mechanic was able to find a inspection service bulletins from good year which said as long as you could not see cord it was ok.

I flew it back to CMA the had both main tires changed.

Just something to look out for.  They were Goodyear flight custom 111
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 09:51:28 pm by Steve binnette »

donv

• Administrator
Re: Tire sidewalls
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 11:16:16 pm »
I had that happen on one of my tires. I have no idea what caused it, as it was fine when it went into the hangar (although, granted, I didn't do a super thorough postflight).

Steve binnette

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 12:40:40 am »
It?s really easy to miss the split closed up when not on the bottom part of the tire.

Roy

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 09:15:02 pm »
Looks more like FOD? From a "been out of loop" guy for many years, that looks more  a like FOD event than a Mfg. defect.

Just a thought, not an expert by any means; it looks too "ireregular" to be a defect.

To both Don and Steve.

Again, a newbie who is getting back behind the yoke soon (though not an AC - yet)  :)

Fly high, fly fast!

With jealousy,

Roy

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 02:12:47 pm »
I wish I could find the picture my mechanic sent me. Mine was probably a manufacturing defect, maybe aggravated by a rock or something.

Steve binnette

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 07:47:14 pm »
My first thought was damage somehow by the line service while they were putting plane in hangar.

Once I got to Airport and took a look it looked like a defect.  There was no other sign of contact and it was not that deep it looked like the rubber just split.