News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: -10T versus -10  (Read 5955 times)

donv

• Administrator
-10T versus -10
« on: January 17, 2018, 02:52:25 pm »
In my recent recurrent training, we had a discussion about the differences between the -10T and the -10. I didn't realize how different they are internally. My simplistic understanding was that the main difference was the lack of SRLs on the -10T, but apparently that's by no means the only difference.

Apparently, the -10T is only a different #1 turbine wheel (shared with the -10), EGT, and burner can... the rest of it is -5. The -10, on the other hand, is completely different.

Since the -10 is still in production, that should mean better support for the true -10 engines?

Bruce Byerly

Re: -10T versus -10
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 10:23:34 pm »
Don, I don?t think that?s the case. It depends on the model, but a late model conversion is almost identical to a true -10 and some -10T?s are more ?modernized? than some 511K?s from what I can gather. Most engines had all wheels replaced at -10T conversion. No way to convert by just swapping a first stage wheel.   I believe there will be plenty of support for -10T?s. Your engine shop will be able to give you the details more efficiently than anyone in the training business, I believe. No criticism meant toward the trainer, but there?s a lot more to it.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 12:33:08 pm »
The argument which was made was that Honeywell didn't want to, in effect, support the dash 5 (since the -10T is mostly dash 5), which is why they are no longer encouraging the conversion.

This, of course, is contrary to the old argument which was that they were pushing the -10T conversion since they didn't want to support the dash 5... of course, if that's the case, why did they raise the price so much on the conversions as to make them uneconomical?

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 12:08:20 am »
The argument which was made was that Honeywell didn't want to, in effect, support the dash 5 (since the -10T is mostly dash 5), which is why they are no longer encouraging the conversion.

This, of course, is contrary to the old argument which was that they were pushing the -10T conversion since they didn't want to support the dash 5... of course, if that's the case, why did they raise the price so much on the conversions as to make them uneconomical?

I think that they drastically discounted the parts required which made the -10T feasible in the first place.  There were some agreements including commuter pricing which made those discounts no longer practical, unfortunately.  Several years ago, the topic was brought up and one of the conversion shops (old factory Garrett facility as I recall) said the pricing for the items required to complete a -10T was something like $456,000 per engine excluding component overhaul and excluding the airframe mods.  I think it?s safe to say that?s more than a burner can and a first stage wheel. So, even with used wheels, it?s very hard to complete the upgrade in today?s environment.  Maybe it?s time for another super 5 - you may be on to something!