News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 980 Questions  (Read 60778 times)

JMA

Re: 980 Questions
« Reply #120 on: April 02, 2020, 02:53:55 pm »
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 02:56:18 pm by JMA »

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: April 04, 2020, 08:30:43 pm »
Interesting to look at the interior pictures. At least on the inside, the window frames appear to still be there.

I used to fly lots of federal prisoners in Learjets, back in the day. We never had any special restraints, and half the time I would look back there and the only one awake would be the prisoner!

"Why yes, I believe it was.  Or at least some secret government operational tool."

Bruce was correct...

I spoke with a friend and he remembered when it was in the service of the FBI and they had altered the window structure to allow for "restraints" used during prisoner transport.

So I guess putting the windows back would be considerable work.

As to the "980" on there I agree that they are way too big and do not go with the flow of the paint

JMA

« Reply #122 on: April 07, 2020, 10:43:39 am »
Is it odd Don I'm jealous those prisoners got a ride in a learjet!?!

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #123 on: April 07, 2020, 11:53:11 am »
If you met them, you wouldn't be. Most of them had been in the prison system for a long, long time and were being moved so that they would die somewhere closer to their families. Or so they could get some sort of treatment. Generally, the ones we flew didn't need a stretcher (although we could do that if necessary), but they were in pretty bad shape.

The medical people in the federal prisons are US Public Health Service officers. I had a long discussion with one of them about the whole thing (we had a 4 hour leg, so plenty of time to talk!). They don't like to fly federal prisoners on the airlines, and so the only other option is to drive them across the country in a van, with several guards and a USPHS doctor, all getting overtime, per diem, etc for a week or so. The Learjet starts to look like a pretty good deal.

Is it odd Don I'm jealous those prisoners got a ride in a learjet!?!

JMA

« Reply #124 on: April 08, 2020, 09:09:52 am »
Thanks Don- found that story very interesting, thanks.
I guess a flight in a learjet, esp. an early model is a dream of mine.  A LJ23/LJ24- don't think its much of an option anymore, not sure if there is even a 23 airworthy out there.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: April 10, 2020, 01:30:40 am »
I've flown the 24, 25, 31, 35, and 55. The only model I haven't flown is the 23. I have sat in the cockpit of a 23, and honestly I don't know that I could fly it-- I'm a big guy, and I had a hard time getting full travel on the controls.

The late model 24 I flew fit okay (it could only go about 2.5 hours anyway), and the others were no problem. Most of my time is in the 35, and I really like that airplane. The systems are a little funky, but the airplanes are sweet.

The 24 is a lot of fun-- the climb is incredible-- but the 35 is such a nice all-around package. I considered buying a 24 a few years back-- there are still some flying-- but the hassle of finding a second pilot and the fuel burn was just too much for me, no matter how I ran the numbers.

JMA

« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2020, 10:41:34 am »
Have a question- other than the fact our planes are 40 years old. 
What would the benefits be of buying something like a PC-12 @ 2-2.5 million vs a jetprop commander completely refurbished for 1.5?
More room? 

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: April 28, 2020, 01:32:30 pm »
Personally, I think a 1000 beats a PC-12 every which way. Faster, burns the same or less fuel, two engine redundancy, costs the same or less to operate. Yes, slightly less room and not as nice a lav. So if you need to carry 8 people around all the time, the PC-12 is going to be better. Or if you need that giant cargo door and carry lots and lots of stuff. But for most usage, 1000 all day, every day.

Merlin IIIC is an even better choice if you need to carry 8 people all the time. I used to fly a Merlin IIIB and our normal passenger load was 7-9 (with two pilots). The passengers loved it-- quiet, outstanding environmental system (so plenty of cool air), fast, just great. But nowhere near as nice to fly as the Commander, and doesn't perform nearly as well.

The single engine PT6 thing is because Pratt will sell the OEMs the engines very cheaply, but because the engines are so expensive to operate, you can only justify having one. Fortunately, they never fail (except for the PC-12 last week, and many others...).

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: April 28, 2020, 02:07:31 pm »
I will add that the 900 with a cargo door Bruce has listed is probably the best of all worlds.

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #129 on: April 29, 2020, 12:00:07 am »
Don, I had to count the seat belts twice  ;)  The flip down jump seat behind the pilot is even rarer than the cargo door- don’t think I’ve ever seen another.

It’s a nice plane. Given jet fuel prices, it’s time to fly.  Let’s see some trip reports!

JimC

• Administrator
« Reply #130 on: April 29, 2020, 09:43:25 am »
  The flip down jump seat behind the pilot is even rarer than the cargo door- don’t think I’ve ever seen another.

I've never even *heard* of it. DO you have some pictures?
500B, B200

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: April 29, 2020, 10:50:00 am »
I did a little trip on Saturday. Hey, at $1.84/gallon at home base, why not?

Was that flip-down jump seat a factory thing, or a mod? I've seen a little jump seat that goes in front of the door, but it fits into the seat tracks. Nothing like this.

JMA

« Reply #132 on: May 02, 2020, 02:41:00 pm »
Thanks Don- you always provide informative answers.
I would think the redundancy with two engines would be a huge selling point. 
Just saw a PC12 next to our 980 and it made me wonder what would make someone spend another 1.5 million for a plane that doesn't have that much of clear advantage in my mind.

I gotta see a pic of that jump seat, never even heard of that...

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #133 on: May 02, 2020, 10:49:57 pm »
I know of two PC-12s which have had engine failures in the last six months... just saying.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #134 on: May 03, 2020, 08:34:30 am »
Don't know how they fly over mountains at night in a PC12. I'd be a nervous wreck.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.