News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Leather cover on control yoke  (Read 7178 times)

kent4142

Leather cover on control yoke
« on: February 27, 2018, 09:26:54 pm »
Has anybody every had their control yoke wrapped in leather?

K

donv

• Administrator
Re: Leather cover on control yoke
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 01:02:10 pm »
I've seen that on other airplanes, but never on a Commander. I'm sure someone has done it, though.

On the ram's head yokes, it would almost have to be two separate pieces which fit over each side, I would think-- since there are light and transponder switches on the center. Then you'd have to have holes for the buttons... personally, I'm fine with the stock finish.

JMA

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 10:33:56 am »
I have seen this, I think one time on controller I saw one for sale with this feature.
Im sure Bruce def has.

kent4142

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 07:55:19 pm »
Okay, Progress.

I found an aircraft with leather control yokes - and I think they look pretty good.  Yes, Bruce said he thinks he knows a place that can do it.

Bruce said he was going to look for some spare yokes to use, while the originals are getting worked on.  I am doing the same.

Kent

kent4142@me.com

kent4142

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 08:01:44 pm »
Bigger

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 11:47:38 pm »
Kent,

I remember that one.  Those felt awfully thick to me which was somewhat less than optimum in my opinion. Too “loosely” wrapped, leather too thick, or maybe the ram’s horn is just too beefy to start with. For some reason I like it more on the Bonanzas and Barons and haven’t seen it well done on a Commander. You could have be the first to do it right?

kent4142

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 08:06:06 am »
Hi Bruce,

Yes I agree with you on your assessment.  I was wondering about goat skin or some natural leather that is thinner.  I don't mind being the first one. 

I am still looking for a shop, and possibly some loaner yokes.

K

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 03:22:28 pm »
IMHO (VERY HUMBLE) the example above is unflattering at best. Better to try deer skin for the form, function and feel.

However, deer will not be as durable or resistant to wedding rings or any rings on the fingers for that matter. Pig or goat skins will be far more durable, but lack the form and feel of deer.

You might try Ostrich. You will get the form, function and feel of a well tanned skin along with the unique color and pattern which you can get tanned to your liking or match the cockpit or even flying boots.

The key will be finding a really good leathersmith. 8)

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 09:02:36 pm »
Hi Bruce,

Yes I agree with you on your assessment.  I was wondering about goat skin or some natural leather that is thinner.  I don't mind being the first one. 

I am still looking for a shop, and possibly some loaner yokes.

K

Did you call the guys I sent you?  I'm sure we have some yokes to exchange. Positive, because I just bought another couple in the 980 salvage.