News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Another one! 1000 in Australia  (Read 7102 times)

Bruce Byerly

Re: Another one! 1000 in Australia
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2024, 06:20:26 pm »
Sounds like Bruce was right about hypoxia, but still what a weird accident! No weather around, apparently...

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2024/report/ao-2023-053

Wow. Thanks for posting that Don.  To think that they seemingly identified a problem, descended to lower altitude and then went back up for another try only not to survive the insidious nature of oxygen deprivation is sobering and scary. I’m just not sure I can imagine the scenario that lead up to it. But I think it’s far better to have an explanation than a mystery.

donv

• Administrator
Re: Another one! 1000 in Australia
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2024, 12:25:52 am »
I wonder if this is an Enviro airplane? Most of the fleet is by now, I assume?

I remember hearing stories (and maybe even encountering it myself, long ago) about Enviro systems not making full differential. I wonder if they were only making 2-3psi or something like that?

Just a guess-- I'm sure we'll never know, given the condition of the wreckage-- at least unless it turns out the airplane had a history of these issues or something like that.

The Sundstrand is pretty much idiot-proof, as long as you turn it on and it's working correctly-- and if it's not working correctly, even an idiot will realize it very quickly. I don't think Commanders generally have had many hypoxia accidents, unlike the 441, say.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 12:27:43 am by donv »