News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: AC95 crash near Chino last night.  (Read 4814 times)

Bruce Byerly

Re: AC95 crash near Chino last night.
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2024, 05:28:57 pm »
Are you seeing the pitch up on the 1000, because of the higher Vmo than the 690/840/980?

You might check with S-Tec-- that could be an installation issue. There are a number of parameters which are set in the installation process.

Regarding turbulence, I should add that I generally prefer to hand fly in moderate or greater turbulence. I'm just more comfortable letting the airplane float a bit rather than strictly trying to hold altitude and heading.

It’s software. We’ve installed more of these than I think all others combined at this point.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2024, 12:43:44 pm »
NTSB prelim is out. Nothing particularly new, other than it says that he was returning after completion of "recurrent" training, which seems a bit questionable? In any event, probably his first solo in the airplane.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2024, 12:45:09 pm »
I wonder if Commanders are more prone to that failing to bring the power up, leading to a stall/spin, than other aircraft?

In general, 331-powered aircraft are going to decelerate very rapidly with the power back, but I don't feel like we hear about MU-2s or Merlins having these issues... that said, the Merlin has a stick pusher, which would have maybe saved the day in this particular situation.

appleseed

• 500S
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2024, 04:07:54 pm »
If you stall with autopilot(old school no alpha protection) engaged, it is pretty much guaranteed spin.

With Mits, I wonder if it's short and low aspect ratio wing is more prone to high sink rate, vs departure?

I would guess that spoilers have a better shot at high alpha rroll control than ailerons.

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2024, 10:33:38 pm »
Are you seeing the pitch up on the 1000, because of the higher Vmo than the 690/840/980?

You might check with S-Tec-- that could be an installation issue. There are a number of parameters which are set in the installation process.

Regarding turbulence, I should add that I generally prefer to hand fly in moderate or greater turbulence. I'm just more comfortable letting the airplane float a bit rather than strictly trying to hold altitude and heading.

The low speed and high speed switching issues are common to several platforms.  I need to dig in to see what the resolutions have been. 

What is moderate turbulence these days? I think anything that makes a ripple in the coffee seems moderate to Delta airlines?

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2024, 11:25:59 pm »
I believe the official definition of "moderate turbulence" and the one I use is if objects in the cabin are displaced.